Well, I never pretended to know or understand how my body/brain works. Exactly when I think I [possibly] have things figured out, I get a whole new education. All I know, today, is that things are going well. I feel satisfied. I feel OK about me. [In fact I feel great!] I feel as though I can do anything I decide is important to do. I believe I’m worthwhile, valuable, contributing to my own wholeness and other’s well-being. This is how I imagine others feel most of the time. This is how I define normal.
Today is my third good day in a row. Sugar has not passed my lips. Junk food has not temped me.
Is that what it’s all about?
I know sugar is a drug. I understand some of the chemical reactions it causes in our bodies, such as depressing our immune system and making us feel depressed. It raises insulin level, which inhibits the release of growth hormones and promotes fat storage, so when we eat sweets high in sugar, we’re making way for rapid weight gain and elevated triglyceride levels.
How’s this for alarming alliteration!?!
Simple sugars have been observed to aggravate asthma, move mood swings, provoke personality changes, muster mental illness, nourish nervous disorders, deliver diabetes, hurry heart disease, grow gallstones, hasten hypertension, and add arthritis.
Sugar . . Oh my heck. Why is this stuff even legal?
[If you’ve got any of this going on, you might want to take a peak in the pantry!]
- Sugar can suppress the immune system
- Sugar can upset the body’s mineral balance
- Sugar can contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, concentration difficulties and crankiness
- Sugar can cause drowsiness
- Sugar can cause hypoglycemia
- Sugar contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial infection
- Sugar can cause kidney damage
- Sugar can increase the rise of coronary heart disease
- Sugar reduces helpful cholesterol and elevates harmful cholesterol
- Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency
- Sugar can cause copper deficiency
- Sugar interferes with calcium and magnesium absorption
- Sugar promotes tooth decay
- Sugar can produce an acidic stomach
- Sugar can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and grey hair
- Sugar contributes to weight gain and obesity. Duh, ya think?
- Sugar can contributes to diabetes
- Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis
- Sugar can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream
- Sugar causes food allergies
- Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy
- Sugar can contribute to eczema in children
- Sugar can overstress the pancreases, causing permanent damage
- Sugar can cause atherosclerosis
- Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries
- Sagan can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver
- Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver
- Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney
- Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines
- Sugar increases bacterial fermentation in the color = cancer
- Sugar increases risk of blood clots and strokes
Hello o O O!
If this stuff were a street drug like cocaine or heroin I’m pretty sure people would be arrested and convicted by the millions. It does as much [or more] damage as the hard stuff, costs us billions in medical bills and loss of job productivity. It single handedly causes more cancer and death than any other one item.
I don’t know about you, but this has been an excruciatingly blunt and extremely frightening light-bulb moment for me, and I’m ready to abstain from the white stuff.